20 Dec Why there is a boom in Data Science?
The boom in Data Science came when the form of data changed from Structured to Unstructured. To be more specific when social media data was introduced, the volume of data increased at a fast pace:
- 23 billion text messages are sent every day
- Google receives 9 billion searches daily
- 500+ hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- YouTube hosts over 800 million videos
- Facebook generates 4 petabytes of data per day – that’s a million gigabytes.
- Predicated collected data: 4.4 zettabytes
(Source: kinsta.com, earthweb.com)
Let us now see the below figure:
To manage such enormous amounts of data, the study of data was required, therefore Data Science was introduced.
Data Science Boom in India
The Data Science Boom can be indirectly credited to Reliance Jio in India. On 27 December 2015, Reliance Jio launched 4G services and a commercial launch on 5 September 2016. This launch offered free data and voice services until 31 December 2016. Looking at the response, the company extended the free services until 31 March 2017. This led to almost everyone having Internet since it was freely provided for a good 7-8 months.
This Jio revolution acquired,
- 5 crore (50 million) subscriber mark in the first 83 days
- 100 million subscribers on 22 February 2017
- 13 crores (130 million) subscribers by October 2017
Well, the Internet reached 13 crore, new users, due to this revolution. This led to a lot of data, including social media being consumed and the need for Data Science.
The following two launches in the last 2 years also led to a lot of data being consumed every second:
- In August 2020, Instagram introduced Reels.
- In September 2021, YouTube introduced Shorts.
An example of Instagram Reels,
View this post on Instagram
If you liked the tutorial, spread the word and share the link and our website Studyopedia with others.
For Videos, Join Our YouTube Channel: Join Now